Illusionists are those academics and leaders who make the impossible possible, by the sheer magic of the words, disconnected from reality.
Their tales are deceiving. They actually serve the present trends of continued depletion and destruction of our environment.
This collection of HOT-people(*) quotes may help finding back to reality.
|The BPE Compact (0)
||All growth is material and finite.
|H.E. Sheikha Lubna, quoted by Joost Pauwelyn, teacher at the Graduate Institute of Geneva (1)
||"how can we increase economic well-being and expand trade, while
promoting the optimal use of the world’s energy resources and protecting and
preserving our shared environment?"
||"Expansion of trade and economic wellbeing" and "preserving the environment" are incompatible, because economic growth and more trade both factually increase resource depletion.
|Ahmed Djoghlaf, Executive Secretary of the Convention on Biological Diversity. (2)
|Ricardo Meléndez-Ortiz (3)
|Pascal Lamy, Director-General of the WTO (4)
|Edward B Barbier, from the American University od Wyoming, and his disciples (5)
|Achim Steiner, UN Under-Secretary General and Executive
Director, UN Environment Programme (6)
|Nick Beglinger, director of Swisscleantech, and his follower, Doris Leuthard, Swiss Federal Councillor (7)
|Pascal Couchepin, ex Swiss Federal Councillor (8)
||"The stone age did not end because of a lack of stones". We will find new technologies so we can continue to grow.(*)
||Continued growth is impossible. Salvation by technology is a HOT-people idea.
for realistic answers
(0) An endless number of public and private statements by the members of the Compact of Business, Politics and the discipline of Economics, the BPE Compact.
(1) Global Challenges at the Intersection
of Trade, Energy and the Environment
Edited by Joost Pauwelyn, 2010 p. viii ISBN: 978-1-907142-04-8 http://www.cepr.org/press/CTEI-CEPR.pdf
(2) Convention on Biological Diversity, CoP-10 Debriefing - 24 November 2010 at the International Environment House UNEP Geneva
(8) Pascal Couchepin at the Davos open Form in February 2008.
A shortlist of arguments
A previous list with arguments and some answers
- You're a pessimist!
- I'm an optimist.
- I'm crossing my fingers, hoping, praying, ...
- We've been told many times the world is lost and look we're still here.
- The Club of Rome was wrong
- People have always found a way to deal with the problems.
- We'll develop new technologies.
- We'll find new energy sources.
- We have renewable energies.
- There are still large amounts of resources, oil.
- They are hiding new technologies in the drawers.
- You're a communist, socialist, weirdo, ....
- You're too radical.
- One day humanity will die out anyway.
- The risk of a (traffic) accident is much higher than environemntal collapse.
- There will still be people around, possible 500 million.
- There's still much space.
- It just all ideas in your head.
- You're agressive.
- People will never give up ...
- The leaders are only thinking of money.
- We can't stop population growth.
- Do you want to kill people to reduce population?
- We need a dictator.
- You're a green dictator.
- Malthus was wrong.
- Genetically modified crops will feed futur populations.
- The stone age did not finsih because of a lack of stones.
- We can't go back to the middle ages, to the stone age.
- We must grow since we need jobs.
- You cannot stop growth.
- The economy will collapse without growth.
- We're changing to a services economy.
- We're changing to green growth.
- We need growth that is balanced, different, sustainable, dematerialised.
- We must internalise externalities.
- We can increase efficiency.
- The Chinese will not...
- You can't stop the Chinese...
- You can't forbid the poor to catch up.
- You can't stop progress.
- People always want more.
- People will not willingly agree to live more simplified lives.
- We're having a good life
- People in the stone age had short, miserable, and brutish lives.
- Environmentalism, climate change worries, population worries - it's part of a conspiracy for world government by a few.
- The rich will survive.
- It's better for nature if humans disappear.
- We can't understand the plans of the Lord.
- I don't care.
- Leave me alone.
- We hate the earth, we hate life, we first have to change ourselves.